Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 3 January 2012

Info Post
Photo © Getty Images and CBS 2/13/2011 - Harvey Mandel On stage with Bob Dylan and his Parker Fly at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California

Interview:

1. Thank you, Harvey for taking your time for this interview. I would like to start with questions about your childhood and teen years. Where did you grow up and what were some of your influences?

Grew up in Chicago......The Ventures were my first big influnce and I moved on to the Blues...

2. Were you in any bands as a teenager?

I started playing when I turned 16......I was in my first band after playing for only 3 months...Started out plain rhythm and after awhile doing leads and stuff....

3. How did you met Charlie Musselwhite and what do you remember from recording Stand Back! Here Comes Charley Musselwhite's South Side Band, which is one of the most influential albums in my opinion?

Met Charlie thru Barry Goldberg.... Did a Barry record and soon after we did Standback...I knew even back then it was something special....


4. Then you moved to the west coast and met Abe Keshishian, who signed you to Philips Records and produced your first solo album, Cristo Redentor in 1968. Would you like to share a story about moving to Bay Area and recording your first solo album?

The standback album became a hit in S.F.  Bill Graham asked us to play the Fillmore...Not long after that Abe Kesh got me signed to Philips...


5. 2 Jews Blues is another mind blowing LP, you worked on with Barry Goldberg. Mike Bloomfield and Duane Allman also contributed. The album is really amazing! How do you remember recording this LP with Barry, Duane, Mike…

I barely remember that one but if I hear it once in awhile I still like it a lot......


6.  Righteous and Games Guitars Play are two more solo albums you released in late 60’s. Then you joined Canned Heat and I would love to hear a story how did you join them after Henry Vestine quit the band….


Larry Taylor and Henry got into it at a Fillmore gig and Henry got fired....I just happened to be at the Fillmore that nite and the Bear asked me to sit in.....It worked out so well that I left with them that nite and two days later we were playin Woodstock...


7. You performed with them at Woodstock and I have to ask you what are your memories on Woodstock?

Well we flew in by helicopter and the site of all those people was mind blowing..An experience never to be forgotten....

8. With Canned Heat bassist Larry Taylor, you joined John Mayall's band for the next two years. How do you remember the period playing with John?

It was something else....John is a real wild man......It was great fun...

Out of this band you formed Pure Food & Drug Act and released Choice Cuts. What can you say about recording sessions for Choice Cuts?

Playing with Sugar Cane Harris was a real treat.... He was the best.....



Let’s go back to your solo carrier. I would like if you could remember Baby Batter, The Snake and Shangrenade albums. All the albums are really something special! What do you remember from that period?


All those records were great representations of myself back then...Its fun to go back and hear were I was coming from back then....


10. You have been working with Bob Dylan lately and soon you will also be touring. What are some of your other future plans?

More tours with the Heat.....More Harvey gigs when possible.....    More recordings when time permits......

11. Thank you very much, Harvey! Would you like to send a message to It’s Psychedelic Baby Magazine readers?

Give a shout  to my fans... Thanks for your support....Check my web site.....Pick up some new CD's......Thanks Psychedelic Baby...Yoooooooooooooooooooooo


Harvey {Snake} Mandel
harveysnake@comcast.net
















Interview made by Klemen Breznikar / 2012

© Copyright http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.com/ 2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment