Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 12 April 2012

Info Post

Damo Suzuki is best known for singing in a German "krautrock" band Can. These days he is very involved with his project called The Damo Suzuki's Network, which is an assembly of sound carriers to communicate with each other and the audience.

Interview:
 
Hi Damo! I'm really glad we can talk about your latest music projects. Damo Suzuki's Network is something very interesting and unique. You perform live improvisational music with various local musicians (so-called "Sound Carriers" ) from all around the world, thus building up a 'network' of musicians with whom you collaborates. Tell us more about how did you got an idea to make this kind of project?

Before I started today’s form of Network I was travelling with some friends or someone I know to create time and space of the moment.

Since 2003 I’m doing this with local sound carriers. I arrived J.F.K Airport early in the morning change plan go back to Europe on March 19 2003, heard TV news
US bombing Iraq. There were millions of people on the street against bombing. Still US made it as usual in their history, ignorance, and arrogance....

Even they really don’t know what REALLY happened 911. I was shocked....sad, angry, disappoint....
I thought I have to do SOMETHING against violence.

Violence is everywhere as you can see. This is not only military attack, at home, at work, in social......
With power of music we can change something, for this on spot created music will bet he best as this belong not to the system.


And if you create this with ever changing local sound carriers, it will be fresh, organic...and eventually.source of free energy. We share this energy to audience. You don’t have to play loud tam-tams, music it’s self has message, to build up good thing you need more time...so, I thought this is my mission to do, I started to create energy....


You have been performing with Michael Karoli and Jaki Liebezeit of Can, Mani Neumeier of Guru Guru, Acid Mothers Temple, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quintet and many others. What are some local artists you were very satisfied to jamm with? 

This is much more than to perform with well-known artists, I don’t select sound carriers; this is curate by local promoters, who arrange my show. Therefore I perform with musicians from different fields also different technique....


I don’t like to compare and also say this will be best or better however.... This project has started „against any kind of violence“ so, I perform with just anybody who is open and brings something into creative energy.

So how does this actually work? Your show is booked…what happen next? How do you get in contact with local artists?

Actually nothing happens...until we have the performing day. I just don’t like (need) to have information before I go on stage. We make sound check as usual other artists do.
That’s all.........there are some days, for traffic reason I came too late 15minutes before the performance.... so then without sound check directly to go....Every time without any concept.
  
What is the main »philosophy«, »influences« behind your concept?

Told already above.....

You have recorded every show and had released several albums. What are some of the latest ones and what are some of them you would recommend to someone who just got into this kind of improvised bacground?

I don’t recommend any of my CDs specially.....it’s all my babies. I rather say to people, first come to Network performance to experience. If you like it and like to have something then get one. Anyway you cannot make that much money doing this sort of music.

Future plans?

Keep on going...

  
Thank you very much for your time, Damo. Do you have a message for It's Psychedelic Baby readers, perhaps?

Be curious around you.
There are many things you miss understand from this social....
Keep your eyes and find truth.
















http://www.damosuzuki.com/

 Interview made by Klemen Breznikar / 2012

© Copyright http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.com/ 2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment