Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 28 February 2012

Info Post

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats are fairly new band, that are influenced by psych from the 60’s and 70’s hard rock. They are one of the rare bands, that still got that “old school” dirty Rock’N’Roll sound. I spoke with Uncle Acid and he told me some interesting things about the band in our interview.

Interview:

Where did you formed Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats?

Down the pub in Cambridge.

Did you have any other bands?

Not really, I'd say this is the first serious band I've been in.

Why Uncle Acid?

I don't know why I chose it. Its just an obscure name which I've grown to like. It's got a toxic, '60s counterculture sound to it. If 'Uncle Sam' represents governments, the establishment, war and all that crap
then I suppose 'Uncle Acid' represents the lowlife street trash. '60s burn-outs and all those left behind. The hippy nightmare!


You are obvious very influenced by Black Sabbath and perhaps Black Widow. Did any other more obscure bands had an impact on you?

Not really. I listen to some obscure bands, but the bands that actually influence me to do anything are pretty well known. Sabbath, The Beatles....everyone likes that stuff. It's still inspiring.

Occult based lyrics. Inspiration?

My imagination. It's like writing a book. I think of a basic story or theme for an album, then that in turn inspires me to write lyrics. I need to see a bigger picture in order for me to break things down into songs. I probably make things difficult for myself, but that's just the way it is. Writing normal songs is too hard for me.

Vol 1 is a self released album. What can you say about it? 

Well, both albums were self funded and self released. Vol. 1 was more like a demo. I had a load of songs that I wanted to put out just to prove to myself that I could do it. The budget was very low on that one. It was impossible to get good sounding drums with the gear we were using, so we had to either mix the drums right to the back or in some cases use terrible things like drum triggers. I do like some of

the songs on there though.


Somewhere I read you are a fan of exploitation horror films. Pick us a few!

I sometimes enjoy trashy biker exploitation films like Northville Cemetery Massacre and Hell's Angels 69. In terms of horror though, I prefer classier early '70s films like Horror Express, Blood On Satan's Claw or Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde. There's something about the grainy, gothic atmosphere of those films that I love.

 "Blood Lust", tell us about the recording sessions. What gear do you guys use?

Tweed amps, Fuzz pedals, trash can reverbs, noisy p90 pickups, and ribbon mics. Some of it was old equipment and some of it was new hi-tech stuff with the big computers that they have now. It was recorded during a pretty bleak winter so of course it was cold, snowy and there was a lot of mechanical failure.

Well, I’m sure you have some favourite obscure albums to name….

BECKETT - BECKETT: Excellent 70's band. Maiden stole a few things from them. Someone needs to re release this on vinyl. One of the greatest unknown albums ever. Go find it now!!


THE NERVES - ONE WAY TICKET: I enjoy good 70's power pop now and
again. This band should have been huge.


TOMMY JAMES AND THE SHONDELLS- CRIMSON AND CLOVER and CELLOPHANE


SYMPHONY: Back to back albums from the late 60s that sound like two totally different bands. Both of these are worth getting for the title tracks alone.

W.A.S.P. - K.F.D: Yeah, maybe not that obscure but W.A.S.P. rule the world. This album is under appreciated because it sounds like a violent industrial pig slaughter.


What are some of your future plans? New album is coming out? Will it be also available on vinyl? I really prefer the vinyl version of new music, how bout’ you?
 
 
I don't like to plan things so who know what we'll be doing. Hopefully, we'll have a new album out by the end of the year, which will definitely be available on vinyl. It's certainly a better way of listening to music than mp3's or whatever people use now.


I would love to see you play in Slovenia! We have great avenue for alternative culture called Metelkova...

Well, hopefully one day we'll make it over there. A little European tour would be nice.


How do you see current music scene, I mean mostly some psych, doom bands. Do you like it? Any particular?

I think it's fine. I mostly listen to old music but I do enjoy newer stuff like The Devils Blood, Diagonal, Orchid, Blood Ceremony, Danava...I could go on and on, theres so many great bands around. Rock music will never be as big as it once was, but that's probably a good thing. It belongs in the shadows and in the underground. We'll let the morons have their X Factor winners and RnB whores. We're doing just fine down here.


Well, I hope we see you someday in the future and I wish you good luck with the upcoming album! I’m sure we will feature it on It’s Psychedelic Baby. Anything you would like to add? Perhaps a message to your fans and our readers?

Thanks. We love you all!


















Interview made by Klemen Breznikar / 2012

© Copyright http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.com/ 2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment