Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 19 February 2013

Info Post

When I first heard the name "Deep Space", I immediately connected you to the space/psych movement and I was right. You were formed in Austin and are keepers of the psychedelic torch of Texas. Were you influenced by bands like The 13th Floor Elevators, Golden Dawn, Bubble Puppy, and Josefus, since they are all from Texas?

Robbie: I just make a conscious effort to take what's been done in this town before--like what the 13th Floor Elevators did, and launch it into outer space. I remember having a deep conversation with Christian Bland, of The Black Angels, and we got on this tangent about making music in the future but with an old school vibe. I have millions of dreams in my head that involve being lost in Deep Space. Science fiction is a huge insipiration. 

Buddy: Growing up, John Bonham and Mitch Mitchell were giant influences on me. I grew up listening to alot of psychedelic rock from the 60's and 70's. When I got to Austin, I had more access to it, and started digging into all the culture and history this town has. I really dig the movement created by The Vulcan Gas Company and love how so many people were involved in it. Behind each band like The Moving Sidewalks, The Elevators, Shiva's Headband, and Bubble Puppy was a community of artists all contributing to the same vibe.

Maxxx: Well I like 13th Floor Elevators but I'm new to Austin by way of NYC and San Francisco before that. I grew up going to punk shows in SF at The Farm and Berkeley's 924 Gilman St. I'd see Neurosis or Sleep back in the late 80's. Rites of Spring and Lungfish are still in the rotation. Later on I found Shoegaze. I dig Spacemen 3 of course, but Loop is just as good. I like Ride and MBV too.

Dan: Being from Texas, I knew about the psych rock movement in Austin during the 60's and 70's and have always been inspired by some of those greats. I moved to Austin years ago to indulge in the rich, diverse music scene that they started. My influences are extremely diverse. They differ from day to day. In art, music, and life. Too many to list here.

I read your bio and you seem like you are into the real deal. You like art films, tribal drumming, and all kind of other mind expanding things. Even if I hadn't heard your music, I would be a fan. Tell us more about your influences.

Maxxx: I'm an art teacher and fine artist, I'll take some cinema of transgression over drum circles. Now Viennese actionist, that's true art because it's a fuck you to the bourgeois!

Robbie: Yeah man, the tribal drumming is the heart and soul that pulses through the bedrock of our space jams. Native American shamanistic community orgies centered around The Big Drum and The Big Beat is the essence of life on the metaphysical level.  13th Floor Elevators sang about opening one's mind in order to let everything come through.

Light & Sound Records is your record company. What can you tell us about it? It looks damn interesting…

Buddy: We know what we want, and have a pretty clear plan of attack. We are lucky to have so many awesome people around us who share the same vision and they all have something great to contribute. Collectively, this label is taking shape, and moving quick. This is gonna be a great year for Light & Sound Records.

Robbie: Last year, Buddy and I started a music festival called Psychedelic Light & Sound. Once that got off the ground, it only made sense to have a record label represent these vibrations that we've spent time cultivating. We also wanted a platform to release our own music. Boom! Light & Sound Records was born.

You recently released your first album called Cosmic Waves. Would you like to present us your album and perhaps share a bit about the concept behind it and what did you have in mind while recording it.

Buddy: We've been through a few different lineups since Deep Space emerged into the world last year. Our current and best lineup has been together for about 6 months. Throughout the year, we have written so many songs. Even with this current lineup, we've probably written about 30. We record in our own studio, so we were free of time constraints and recorded at our own pace. "Vibrations" really came to life when we went into the studio. We had a lot of it written, but the groove at the end is totally organic and just came to us as we were recording the written part.  I think "Cosmic Waves" puts a good scope on our collaborations as musicians, and is a sonic snapshot of the five of us digging deeper into the sound and finding our pockets.

Dan: Our first effort is the result of a lot of late night hours and hard work from all members of Deep Space. I think it encompasses our sound pretty well and should give listeners the chance to hear where we're coming from in case they can't make it out to the performance. 

The Shri Yantra symbol on the cover of "Cosmic Waves" is one of the most ancient symbols of transcendental meditation. This sacred geometric symbol can deliver transcendent thoughts and a deeper connection to your inner subconsciousness. The Shri Yantra's nine triangles are interlaced in such a way as to form 43 smaller triangles in a web symbolic of the entire cosmos. To capture the essence of our music and maximize your listening pleasure, we recommend that you meditate on this symbol while listening to this album. It will reveal and open doors of perception within your consciousness.

Are you satisfied?

Buddy: Yes.
  
Maxxx: Almost

Dan: I'm pleased with our efforts but this album is just the beginning.

Where can we grab a copy?


What's in plan right now and what are some future plans for you?

Buddy: Psychedelic Light & Sound in Denver. Studio sessions. Writing more music.  Record releases. World domination.

Robbie: I'm already in the future. My death is in the past. We've also picked up another cosmonaut recently. We got this rad dude hopping on a plane from the middle of America to come rock with us at our next show with the Psychic Ills. He plays tambourine, and sitar. We are completly stoked to have another ray of light shining through this prism.



Gotta ask, what's on your turntable and what are you reading?

Buddy: "Noctuary" by The Holydrug Couple, The Tibetan Book of The Dead.

Maxxx: Neil young's new one, "Wage Heavy Peace'. I've got lots on the nightstand. I had a dream about Tristam Shandy and Laurence Sterne. I'm also a huge J.G. Ballard and Phillip K. Dick fan. Music is for many moods. I find myself hitting the old standards but new stuff as well like Asteroid 4 and maybe Moon Duo. For chilled out occasions, I like what Fuxa is got going on. Always Kraftwerk...

Dan: King Crimson, Stone Roses, R. Stevie Moore; I don't have time to read...

Robbie: Maxxx gave me a copy of "The Doors of Perception", and it's resonating in my mind. We just wrote a new song called "Inner Light Blues", and it's all about mind expansion and the emotions that go through delving into the deep subconsciousness and flipping through multiple realites. I love meditating and dreaming. I've been writing alot of the material for Deep Space and most of it comes from my contstant absorbtion of art created by people who lean toward the ideas of psychedelia. 

My daily musical ritual consist of: The Ufo Club, Spacemen 3, Wooden Shjips, Moon Duo, Night Beats, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, The Black Angels, The 13th Floor Elevators, and of course Deep Space.




Interview made by Klemen Breznikar/2013
© Copyright http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.com/2013

0 comments:

Post a Comment