Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 5 June 2011

Info Post

Hello. This is Blair from Yellow Matter Custard. I've been asked to review the 2010 album "Happen Again".  Now some history before I review the album, which will be done song by song, as I among just hearing it. This is Andy Kim's first album since 1975. He released 2 albums in the 1980's, but under a moniker of Baron Longfellow. But he had two huge hits, one in the 1960's with the sickly sweet pop of Sugar, Sugar which was written for the fake band The Archies and then in 1974 with his song Rock Me Gently, which is a song that, if you buy any 70's compilations, it will be nearly impossible to not find on it. So we know that he is more than capable of writing long lasting, catchy as hell pop songs, but will his first album in 35 years stand up to his two monumental hits? We shall see.

1. 3 Days In Heaven - The lead off track and also the longest song, clocking in at 5:03 opens up with some dark sounds. An acoustic guitar strumming along with what sounds like a synthesized bass playing chords before the acoustic guitar is sent through a phaser, giving the song a wobbly effect. Once his vocal comes in I noticed that obviously his voice has gotten deeper and huskier with age. The production actually sounds more retro, at least in the quiet sections, but when the chorus kicks in, it gets a bit too loud (the production, I mean) and modern for my tastes.

2. Judy Garland - This song starts off in an almost indie rock way, galloping floor tom drums with muted guitars and bass, over a effected vocal, before moving into a lighter touch for the verses. The chorus definitely recalls some of the old 70's pop singles, with a nice tambourine added in there to give it some extra percussion. Give it a more four on the floor disco beat and you got his follow up hit single to Rock Me Gently.

3. This Is Me - Obviously from the title and lyrics this is an autobiographical song,    talking about his father. At the end of the first verse, I swear I can hear a mellotron flute in there. It doesn't reappear again, instead being replaced by strings, probably synthesized. Shame.

4. The Oh, Oh Song - Mixing piano with some nice strings, played almost staccato in places, the song is about (I think) falling in love with a fan. He mentions briefly Bob Dylan.

5. Love Is - A song with a great melody, unfortunately ruined by bad and generic production. I think if this song was just acoustic with maybe bass or some violins or cellos it would be a lot more effective.

6. Happen Again - This is the title track, so I'm expecting some grand statement to tie the album together. While the song seems to yearn for nostalgia, it would work better if it was done more like his old songs from the 70's, while there are touches of this is, with some of the instruments being put through a wah pedal and what sounds like a vibraphone.

7. I Forgot To Mention - This one sounds like a Tom Petty track circa his Full Moon Fever era: loud, up-tempo drums, acoustic and electric guitars in sync, etc. Once the chorus hit I was like, "Holy shit. I've heard this song before." Now Andy and me are both Canadian and he's much bigger in his native Canada than anywhere else, so it's not a stretch if they played this song on the radio in my town, which I'm sure they did. The chorus really hooks you.

8. Love Has Never Been My Friend - Now we're talking. If the drums weren't so loud, this could easily pass off as a lost 60's sunshine pop song. It has poppy piano, melodic bass and this time I'm positive, a mellotron flute. This is definitely the strongest song on the album.

9. Someday - Andy channels Neil Diamond. This whole review I've been trying to figure out who Andy sounds like now and this song made me realize he sounds almost just Neil Diamond. There's some weird industrial-esque percussion in the song, sounding like synth bongos. Not very good.

10. Without You - Oh boy. Ending the album with a completely synthesized song. I can't stand synth drums. This sounds like it should be in the end credits of some cheesy B-action movie from 1986. A really lame, and poor way to end an album.

Overall, the melodies are strong and for a guy who obviously shies away from the public, you got to give him props for releasing an album after so many years. He's still got a knack for writing catchy stuff but it's all just done so bleak and cold, sounding more like a mid 90's ambient album than a 2010 album by the guy who wrote Sugar, Sugar. Overall it would be much stronger in different arrangements and had better, warmer production.

Favourite Songs: I Forgot To Mention, Love Has Never Been My Friend













Review made by Blair Lucas / 2011

© Copyright http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.com/ 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment